Wednesday 3 September 2014

Sertraline FREE first couple of weeks

Hi all,

Apologies for my absence of late, I've been a busy bee and also contending with being sertraline free for the first time in 8 years!!

So I just wanted to give you all an update on how I feel now that the sertraline is out of my system. On the most part I feel absolutely fine, I have a few 'brain zaps' and feel dizzy sometimes but they are managable and not too distressing. 

The biggest adjustment for me has been the shift in my emotions, the best way to describe it is that when I was on antidepressants, although I could laugh and cry I felt blunted somehow, almost robotic I guess, the difference now is that when I laugh I REALLY laugh, you know those belly laughs that you just can't stop?? Yes that kind of laugh that is contagious! I've been doing that a lot, and on the flip side I am able to cry much easier, now this isn't a bad thing I promise, I don't mean I'm crying for no reason all sad and depressed 😉 i cry at things that fill me with joy and equally cry at things that make me sad, while in the past (pre-sertraline) I would feel awkward crying in front of others, now I embrace it and just let it out and it feels freeing!!

I will finish on this food for thought, I believe I came off my medication at a time that was right for me, in the past I had tried and failed to wean off and would freak out in major anxiety and panic attacks. Now I'm as calm as a cucumber. It's all about timing so I would just like to reassure anyone that is currently taking antidepressants and has either failed to come off them, or feels like a failure for having to 'rely' on them that a) don't be hard on yourself, you will know when the time comes and I promise with determination and support it is possible to be antidepressant free and feel amazing! Trust your instincts and do what is right for YOU! And b) never ever feel like a failure for having to rely on a drug to level out your emotions, think about it like this, if you saw your closest friend struggling with anxiety and depression would you tell them to suck it up and get over it? Or would you advise them to seek help? You know the last answer is correct and you would help them in any way you could. We all need a  helping hand in this bonkers world and there's nothing to be ashamed of in accepting help.

So on that positive note I will sign off here and wish you all a fantastic rest of the week wherever you may be and whatever you may doing.

All the best
Nic
X

No comments:

Post a Comment